Members - Presentation
Members - Vineyard

"The PFV is one large family made up of 11 member families, each sharing the same goal: to produce the very best we can. The Pol Roger family is very proud to be associated with this illustrious group and we will never compromise our pursuit of excellence."

- Hubert de Billy -



This prestigious champagne house was founded in Epernay in 1849 by Mister Pol Roger, a 'Champenois' from Aÿ. Over the next fifty years, until his death in 1899, he built his business into one of the most respected in Champagne and, in particular, created strong trade links with Britain.


Maurice and Georges Roger took over from their father, Pol. The two brothers' determination enabled the house to overcome a catastrophe, when in February 1900, the cellars collapsed. In that same year, they obtained the right to change their family name to Pol-Roger, as a tribute to their father. The pair of brothers, Maurice and Georges, proved very successful.


After the death of the two brothers In the 50's, the third and fourth generations of the family began to run the company. Jacques and Jean were at the controls, assisted by Christian de Billy (Maurice Pol-Roger's grandson). In 1963, Christian Pol-Roger arrived to strengthen this collegial.


The emblematic figure of Winston Churchill left his mark on the post-war period. This British statesman was an unwavering client of the firm: "the most delightful address in the world", he declared. In 1975, the celebrated Cuvée Winston Churchill was created and launched at Blenheim Palace in magnums only.


The first member of the fifth generation entered the business in 1988: Hubert de Billy, son of Christian, became Sales Manager for France.


From 2001 to 2011 the winery underwent a complete renovation; an undertaking which ensured that the cellar master could vinify cuvees of irrefutable consistency and quality.



In July 2013 Laurent d'Harcourt takes over the position of President of the Board of Directors. Laurent d'Harcourt and Hubert de Billy (member of the Board of Directors) are supported by an experienced management team: Dominique Petit (Cellar Master), Evelyne de Billy (Vineyard Manager), and Isabelle Gautier (Financial Director)


POL ROGER, with stocks of 9 million of bottles representing some 5 years supply ranks with the very highest in terms of prestige and an uncompromising reputation for quality. It remains proudly independent, one of a very select brand of «Grandes Marques" still remaining in family hands.


Its cellars, extending to 7,5 km, lie on five levels in the chalk below Epernay and are among the coolest and deepest in the region contributing no doubt to the persistent mousse of small bubbles which distinguishes all Pol Roger Champagnes. The current range includes Brut Réserve Non-Vintage, Pure, Rich, Brut Vintage, Brut Blanc de Blancs Vintage, Brut Rosé Vintage and the renowned Sir Winston Churchill Cuvée.

The company owns some 227 acres of vineyards on prime sites in:


- The Montagne de Reims (Verzy, Verzenay, Mailly, Ambonnay, Mardeuil, Louvois...)

- The Côte des Blancs (Cuis, Oiry, Oger, Vertus, Chouilly...)

- The Vallée de la Marne (Vincelles, Vandières, Chavot, Monthelon, Pierry, Damery, Troissy and Venteuil...).


The house accounts for 55% of the grape supply. The remainder of its supplies, 45%, comes from independent winemakers working with the house for generations, ensuring the quality and traceability of the grapes.


Pol Roger's vineyards are managed by "viticulture raisonnée" following the standard of production established by the Comité Interprofessionnel des Vins de Champagne. (CIVC).



For more information, please visit the Pol Roger website: www.polroger.com

Close
Members
Close
Legal notices


Primum Familiae Vini

Cl. Miquel Torres i Carbo, 6

08720 Vilafranca del Penedes

Spain


PFV wine ambassador

Christophe Brunet

cbrunet@pfv.org


Directeur de la publication et responsable de la rédaction

Christophe Brunet


Hébergeur

Vinium

3, rue des Corton

21420 Aloxe-Corton - France

contact@vinium.com

www.vinium.com

Close
To subscribe to our newsletter, please enter your email.
Email  
OK

Business Consumer Journalist
Close
Search